Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ghana


Yes, just Ghana. I didn't pick a city. I just decided to do the whole nation in one big go. I may come back to it someday if I find something interesting that I did not mention. Ghana is a place that I don't think most people would think of for a vacation, but it has a lot of interesting things to offer and is suppose to be one of the safer West African countries. It could be one of the safest countries in Africa for all I know. However, I think that it would be a wonderful and interesting experience. The Approximate exchange rates as of today were:

1 USD to 1. 46 Cedi
1 Pound to 2.42 Cedi
1 Euro to 2.07 Cedi

So overall looking favorable to overseas travelers such as myself. Anyways on to the actual mental traveling because even at that rate I still can't afford it. But on the bright side I can't get malaria from just thinking about being in Ghana, nor can I get sick off the water.

Starting in Western Ghana there is the stilt village of Nzulezo, which looks to be an interesting place to visit. The preferred travel method is canoes, which carry approximately five adults and visitors are expected to help paddle. They carry visitors through the Mangrove Forests and across Lake Tadane to the village everyday but Thursday. There is also a Hippo Sanctuary near here. The cute, but deadly Hippo.

On to Central Ghana where Kakum National Park is. It's the largest area of preserved rain forest in the entire country and it has a canopy walk, which is apparently the "touristy" thing do do when visiting. Which is best experienced in early morning. A guided walk through the forest at ground level is also available, and the guides are supposed to be very knowledgeable about the plants and animal life you will see. Which are apparently mostly birds and insects. Yay birds! Boo hiss insects. There is apparently a Monkey Forest Resort, animal sanctuary and restaurant, nearby as well. Central Ghana on the coastal region is also known for its beaches. Personally more interesting to myself since I burn is Cape Coast Castle, which is one of several slave forts on the coast and a UNESCO world heritage site. Also in the town of Elmina is Elmina castle, which was a notorious slave fort. The museum in side is apparently of the same tone as the Holocaust museum so...

Upon hitting West Africa we reach the area known for Mole National Park. It is well known for its elephants and it is apparently forbidden to walk around outside motel grounds without a armed ranger. I suppose that means you might end up a snack if you don't or possibly trampled by a Elephant.Mole has the widest range of wildlife in Ghana. You'll see elephants, antelope, bushbucks, monkeys, warthogs, baboons and other smaller wildlife. It is rumored that lions exist in the park but even the wardens haven't seen any traces for a few years, but I would still take that armed ranger just to be sure. The last lion sighting in August 2004 was immediately followed by serious poaching incident resulting in the capture and killing of a male lion the following day. Don't think this area is just for the animal lovers, the nearby Larabanga has the oldest, and best preserved example of a mud and stick mosque in Ghana. Although it is worth a visit if you are going to Mole, but you are not allowed inside. If you are interested in mud and stick mosques, it is a better bet to visit the ones in the Upper West region.

One of the things I'm oddly excited about that I keep seeing as I research is Fufu, the most widely served traditional dish, which consists of pounded balls of yam, plantain, or cassava served with soup, and a side of goat meat or fish. I think I'll take the Fish. And apparently food is really cheap in Ghana so eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment